I talk about habits all the time and the importance and power of having positive habits that create less stress and move you towards your goals, both short-term, and long-term. Here’s a quick overview you need to know because your habits make you.
How Habits Work
- Studies indicate that it takes 21 days to develop a habit pattern.
- Awareness of your actions and lots of practice is the only way to establish a habit pattern that will last.
- Creating a positive habit will boost your mood and provide more self-confidence.
- Past experiences can bring on habits that will affect you for the remainder of your life.
- Every one of your habits is a loop that begins with a trigger, which results in the behavior, which leads to a reward.
Key Habits of Successful People
- Habits are responsible for your success – or lack of success.
- You may not realize that bad habits are holding you back.
- When you practice a good habit for 21 days, you’re well on your way to a successful outcome.
- There are certain habits that are likely found in every highly successful person.
- Practice habits constantly
- Triggers, behavior, and rewards work together.
How to Create New Habits
- There are certain “ingredients” found in the creation of every new habit.
- First, identify the habit you want to create.
- Visualization is a main part of creating a new habit.
- Make a commitment to change.
- Rewards are important.
- Don’t break any part of the habit loop.
How to Stick to Your New Habits
- Know the habit you want to establish — inside and out.
- Remember the three parts of every habit are the trigger, the behavior, and the reward.
- Set aside time in your schedule to develop the new habit.
- Planning what you will do in case a lack of willpower occurs is essential to succeeding in the formation of the new habit.
- Know the saboteurs in your life.